Power, Politics and Influence: Key Ingredients for a Sustainable Future for Canadians
Hotel Alma, University of Calgary
May 13 – 15 Activities
The conference meeting rooms are located in the University of Calgary Dining Centre, which is adjacent to the Hotel Alma at 169 University Gate, N.W., Calgary. (To view location map, click here.)
Registration: In Lobby of Hotel Alma until Wednesday morning when it moves to Alberta Room
To view the Program at a Glance as a PDF, please click here.
For full conference details, please click here.
TUESDAY, MAY 13TH
6 – 8 p.m. Welcome Reception – The Blue Room
WEDNESDAY, MAY 14TH
7– 8 a.m. Breakfast – Alberta Room
7:50 a.m. Gather in lobby of Hotel Alma to ready for departure for morning field trips.
8 a.m. – 11:45 Field Trips Options:
- Southern Alberta Forest and Headwaters Tour – Led by CPAWS Southern Alberta
- racking and Energy Development in Calgary’s Suburban Fringe – Led by Pembina Institute and CAUS-C
- Water Funders’ Field Trip – Watersheds and Riparian Areas: Showcasing the Role of Stewardship – Led by Cows and Fish
12:15 – 2 p.m. Lunch with Keynote Speaker Brad Lavigne. From Defence to Offence: Gaining Power in Canada – Alberta Room
2 – 2:15 p.m. Break
2:15 – 3:30 p.m. Pathways for Change: Understanding Approaches to Advocacy and Policy Change, Sarah Stachowiak – Alberta Room
3:30 – 3:45 p.m. Break
3:45 – 5:15 p.m. Concurrent Sessions:
- Interrupting the Dance of Deception – Blue Room. Moderators: Beth Hunter and Devika Shah; Speakers:Stephen Huddart, Ed Whittingham, Nicole Rycroft, Mary Pickering
- Investing in People Power: Why Movement Building Matters – Legacy Suite. Moderator: James Stauch; Speakers: Kai Nagata, Mira Oreck, Colette Murphy
6 p.m. Meet in lobby of Hotel Alma for departure by bus to our dinner venue at the Rotary House, at Stampede Park.
6:30 – 7 p.m. Pre-dinner drinks and appetizers at the Rotary House
7 p.m. Dinner with keynote remarks by Scott Vaughan
9:30 and 10 p.m. Buses return to Hotel Alma (or delegates may want to stay downtown and take a taxi back to the hotel later)
THURSDAY, MAY 15TH
6:50 a.m. Morning Yoga – meet in Hotel Alma lobby
8 – 9 a.m. Breakfast – Alberta Room
10 – 10:15 a.m. Break
10:15 – 11:45 a.m. Concurrent Sessions:
- Key Ingredients for Securing a Big Environmental Win – Alberta Room. Moderator: Mary Pickering; Speakers: Jack Gibbons, Bruce Lourie, Dr. Ted Boadway
- The Enduring Role of Science in Environmental Decisions – Blue Room. Moderator: Dave Secord Speakers: Katie Gibbs, Aaron Freeman, Nancy Baron
12 – 2:30 p.m. Lunch and CEGN’s AGM followed by keynote remarks by Stephen Kakfwi. A Sustainable Future – Through Power, Politics and Influence (in the NWT)– Alberta Room. A panel discussion will follow. In addition to Stephen, speakers will include: Mary Pat Campbell, Steve Ellis and Wanda Brascoupe Peters. The discussion will be moderated by Dave Secord, Tides Canada.
2:30 – 2:45 p.m. Break
2:45 – 4 p.m. Concurrent Sessions:
- Many Hands, More Impact: Philanthropy’s Role in Supporting Movements – Alberta Room. Speaker: Heather Peeler
- Cloud Computing Tools for Grantmakers – Blue Room. Speakers: Anil Patel and Zoe Simpson
4 – 4:30 p.m. Wrap-up of formal conference